Many people involved in a personal injury accident have a lot of misconceptions about personal injury claims. As personal injury attorneys, you may want to turn some of your marketing attention towards dispelling these myths through social media posts or your blog.
The following represents the most common misconceptions.
- If I need one, I’ll hire a lawyer later. People need to understand that delaying representation can have extremely adverse effects on their case. Evidence can disappear, witnesses can be difficult to locate and there are statutes of limitations. In addition, once a settlement is reached independently, the plaintiff cannot go back to seek more money or file a lawsuit.
- My insurance will take care of the matter. An insurance adjuster is responsible to his or her company to maximize profits. Research has shown time and again that people who hire personal injury attorneys end up with more money in their pocket than do those trying to settle a claim on their own through their adjuster. Also, giving a recorded statement to the defendant insurance adjuster, without proper advice, could be a death knell on a case.
- I can’t afford a lawyer. Most personal injury attorneys charge a contingency fee. Clients do not have to pay out anything in advance. All attorney fees and case costs are deducted from the settlement check. Most attorneys will not accept a fee, if they don’t win the case for their client. They usually always offer free initial consultations.
- I don’t want to take any action because it was just an accident. Filing a claim or a lawsuit is a right for those who have been victims of someone’s carelessness. Any settlement monies normally come from their insurance company, not out of their own pocket. That is what insurance is there for.
- I don’t have time to wait for my case to be resolved. It does take time to file a claim and reach a settlement agreement or go to court. However, the victim doesn’t have to worry about anything except getting well and getting on with their life. They need to let their personal injury attorney handle everything. Being relieved of the stress of having to deal with the case is a great step towards physical and emotional recovery. Most cases are settled out of court, shortening the amount of time the victim has to wait for compensation.
- My injuries are so severe that the statute of limitations will expire before I ever finish treating. Many prospects do not understand that you can ask for future medical expenses so that the claim can be settled before the statute of limitations expires. In such instances, a detailed letter from the attending physician(s) stating the nature of the on-going medical problems will serve as proof of the need for a certain amount of compensation or the policy limits.
- If I hold out, I will get a bigger settlement. Prospects need to leave the negotiating to the experts. Personal injury attorneys know when and how to push for a larger settlement. Some people depend on their family attorney or divorce lawyer. They need to understand that different types of attorneys focus on specific areas of practice and this makes them most knowledgeable of the applicable laws.
If you need help developing content for your social media platforms, your blog, or any other written materials on this and other subjects pertinent to your personal injury practice, give us a call at Group Matrix. Our staff of experienced writers is knowledgeable about personal injury law and can help you create informative content for your marketing strategies.
Group Matrix Blog – July 18, 2018 – by Sharon Bowles